Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Chippy paint obsession


I fell in love with the shabby look of chipping paint way before it was cool. I loved the way the peeling colors exposed layers of the past and created a lovely patina. The shabby look of chippy paint creates a feeling of comfort for me. The pieces that used to be thrown in the woodpile or left by the curbside are now coveted by their owners or at the very least sold to friends with a passion for old. I used to wish that others felt passionate or understood how I felt about the shabby look of old furniture. I was so thrilled when friends began to get excited about my finds and ask me to find or refinish a piece for them.  We'll I think I've changed my mind because now that shabby is in and chippy paint is all the rage it has become difficult and very expensive to find a really cool piece. I thought I wanted others to share my passion for character and see the beauty of dingy corners and peeling paint but now Im not up for the high prices and the availability of chalk paint has made everyone a DIYer.  If I ever fall in love with an ugly duckling or unpopular trend again I'll be sure to appreciate "one mans trash is another mans treasure."
Do you have any outdated or unpopular passions?

No comments:

Post a Comment