Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Altered junk with chalk paint DIY



I have become addicted to repurposing with chalk paint. I first started transforming out-dated pieces of furniture with name brand chalk paints, like Annie Sloan, only found in specialty stores or on the internet. They were great and came in several colors but very pricey about 40 dollars a quart.  I was limited by a small color palate and had to make a 35 mile trip to find it. I should probably clarify that chalk paint and chalk board paint are different. Chalk paint is used on furniture to leave an old world appearance similar to milk paint. It is quite often aged to give a beautifully worn patina. It's often used in shabby chic decor. Chalk board paint is used to make chalk boards.
Chalk paint allows me to take a piece that needs a little love or a major face lift and transform it into something fabulous. In the beginning I was spending a small fortune on paint and wax. Eventually I decided to take a leap of faith and start making my own paint. There are several recipes posted on- line. I have listed a couple inexpensive recipes to try. My go to mix is the plaster of Paris recipe below found on Inmyownstyle.com.


It's easy and all you need to get stated is a little paint (color and brand of your choice) plaster of Paris and a soft wax like Johnson's or Minwax paste finishing wax. There are many techniques to try depending on the finish you want in the end. Pinterest is a great resource for ideas and wonderful pics of the end result. I usually go for the more distressed look with a little sand paper at varying grits. 
The best thing about chalk painting is that you can cover almost anything and you don't have to sand or strip the piece first. I love that!
The chest above was a sad piece buried under frames and chairs in the garage of an estate sale. It was dirty (including mouse droppings) and broken but I could see the potential. After a little wood glue was applied to the drawers and trim pieces and the broken door was removed, we ( my dad) cut a piece of wood for a new top. I loved the chippy paint and aged look of the chest already so I applied only a thin layer of oatmeal colored paint. I wanted to preserve the original patina as much as possible but you can create your own with a little aging wax that's readily available at your better paint or hardware store. After achieving the color I wanted I waxed and buffed to a satin finish. I painted inside the drawers and open shelf (created by removing the door) with a pop of sunny color. Then I stacked several colorful boxes in the open space. You could also use a cute little basket for storage or stack of old books. I love how this piece turned out it was a total transformation. I wish I would have taken before and after pics. I always forget to do that. It's because I get so excited and anxious to get started and just dive right in without capturing the original piece. 
The entire project cost me less than 50 dollars. That's right I got this sexy little chest for less than fifty bucks and a couple hours of DIY.  I would love to see some of your transformations with chalk paint, hint, hint! 







1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful chest, Kelly! I love the color you chose and the details on this piece are just gorgeous. I am sure it didn't look anything near like this when you found it. : ) Great job!

    ReplyDelete