Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Love potion


I have been busy cooking up some potions from my garden herbs. I like to garden. I grow flowers and herbs and the occasional tomato or pepper. My favorite part of gardening is collecting the fresh herbs and using them in salads and other dishes. I am a mediocre cook that gets bored with the same old thing and likes to get adventurous in the kitchen. My favorite things to cook up aren't edible at all. I love to make herbal salt scrubs and lip balms but my very favorite recipe is what I call my love potion. 
         It's really just rose water made from dried roses, distiller water and citrus vodka. It's so easy to make ( shhh, don't tell anyone its my secret and now yours) and smells heavenly. I use hand fulls of dried roses from the garden (the heavily scented kind) a jug of distiller water and a few swigs, I mean drops, of citrus orange vodka. I boil the water and pour them over the roses then steep them in a covered glass bowl for about 40 minutes. After the 40 minutes are up and the water is a beautiful rose tint  I strain the water and discard or compost the rose petals. I then add the vodka and pour the mixture in decorative jars or bottles with stoppers. I seal a few bottles that won't be used for a while with melted candle wax. No need to refrigerate because the vodka acts as a preservative. It smells wonderful and it's very soothing to dry skin. I keep a tiny jar of it in my home altar as well but more on that later. 
  If you don't grow roses in your garden you can buy discarded petals from a florist and dry them yourself. You can also use fresh petals but you want to be sure they haven't been laced with pesticides. I have never used fresh roses and the  recipe is a bit different from the one I use for dried petals. 
  So even though the weather is a bit frightful here in Michigan I can still enjoy my garden. We are expecting a few more inches of snow and high winds tonight. Brrrrrr!!

5 comments:

  1. That sounds like a wonderful potion to me! lol Make sure you don't DRINK the potion....as some might be tempted to do! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look like a bottle of wine so taking a little sip is tempting... Lol

      Delete
  2. That sounds sublime. Roses are my favourite flower of time. Not just for their endearing beauty, but for their scent and taste as well. I (though it wasn't planned) even had my first kiss as a youngster standing in front of a rose bush in bloom. If one has a spirit flower (in the same vein as a spirit animal), roses are most definitely mine.

    Big hugs & many thanks for your wonderfully nice comment on Sunday's post,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree roses are irresistible and the perfect spirit flower. I love your blog and enjoyed my visit. So glad you stopped by.

      Delete
  3. These look so yummy. Love this post and thank you for stopping by and leaving a sweet comment. I don't think we met yet in blogland. Enjoyed my visit here and your lovely blog. I am originally from Michigan born and raised but live now in Texas for many years.
    Wishing you a wonderful season. Stay Warm!! I know that cold!!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete