Monday, March 2, 2015

The lust and the lure of Anthropologie and a little mystery


You had me at Anthropologie. I'm easily sucked in and swept away by the view or atmosphere. This makes me a very dangerous shopper. Unlike most of my savvy shopping buddies who look for the best deal or things they really need and can afford, I am an emotional shopper becoming hooked, more like attached to anything and everything that makes my heart skip a beat or promises to make cool or beautiful. I fall hard for good marketing and stores that have a certain dreamy or extremely cool atmosphere. I know my weaknesses but still I can't help myself. It's an addiction or what I like to call passion. I'm sure my husband calls it something else.
    Anthropologie is such a place that sucks me in the door and takes over my soul. I wander the store in lust for hours only to exit the store with a cool purchase that I love but don't need. My latest such purchase was a book titled "Gypsy a world of colour and interiors. I pour over the pages and devour images like this one...
 

I love the rawness and organic vibe of this room. From the chippy paint on the block wall to the pond sailor on the wall, I'm hooked. I can envision myself spending time sitting on that lovely blue settee or gazing out the window with the fabulous fishing net window treatment, love that!

     I am drawn to a design or piece by the emotion or memory evoked in me. I haunt swanky little decorator shops and juicy antique stores. One of my latest obsessions is vintage photos, not the posed portraits just the candid shots that make you wonder about the story behind the image. I recently designed an art piece "Lost at Sea" using some really extrodinary photos of children by the sea. I can't help but wonder who were these children, where did they live and what was their story. 





The untold story and the mystery behind the photos are intertwined with the awesomeness of each and every tiny shell and piece of garbage that gets lost and washes up on the beaches I wander. I love the mystery and the wonder of it all. I'm a curious girl who can't get enough of the romance of the sea and the lure of ambient interiors and love at first sight. Yes, you had me at Anthropologie!


2 comments:

  1. I can totally relate to your post today because Anthropologie is one of my favorite shops. I just bought a tea cup for my friend's birthday there. Doesn't it have such a cool atmosphere? Your "lost at sea" art piece is pretty. Every time I looked at my mom's old black and whites, I always wondered what the story was behind them too. It sounds like we have a lot in common.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheri I totally agree that we have a lot in common.

      Delete